Apple Connected TVs & DVRs

Posted by Ganesh | 6:47 AM | | 0 comments »


The rumor world, well more like investment bank Piper Jaffray, thinks Apple will release networked televisions and an updated Apple TV with DVR functionally in the next 2-years.  Notably, this isn’t the first time we’ve heard about an Apple DVR.

Although Apple has publicly denied interest in such markets, investment bank Piper Jaffray said Thursday it expects the company to introduce a networked television in the next two years and update its Apple TV set-top-box with DVR capabilities by year’s end.

see the DVR thing panning out.  It’s the only way Apple will truly reach critical mass with their Apple TV, but actual TVs branded by Apple, I think that’s a bit of a stretch.  Yes, they do produce their own LCD monitors via LG, but I think that strays too far from their core offering, which is computing and more importantly media delivery.  Displays have always been an up sell for Apple and not a mainstay.  Would I love to see an Apple TV with DVR?  You bet your bottom dollar I would.  I’d snag me one right now if it did that kind of stuff out the box.  Hacking the Apple TV to work with services like Boxee or any number of things is too much work for me, although I’m growing more and more interested in Jailbreaking my iPhone.

0 comments